8.23.2009

Without Jinxing it

I just wanted to share that Levi has now been sleeping for over an hour and NOT in our bed!

For those of you who know us, we have not ever desired to co-sleep with our babies. Justin and I have always thought that for the sanity of our marriage and the safety of our children that they should sleep in their own beds. We have read a lot and know the pros and cons of co-sleeping, we just decided that it wasn't for us.

THEN LEVI came along. And well, quite frankly, Levi and I have both been sleeping better sharing a bed. I have not really figured out how to put him down and have him stay asleep for more than 20-30 minutes. With Jackson, it was really no problem, swaddle him and put him down while drowsy, but still awake and he would just drift off to sleep.

Lo and behold, Levi is a different baby.....I know, real shocker huh?

Anyways, we initially had a pack and play in our room for Levi to sleep in. We figured that because I am exclusively breastfeeding and Levi's room is downstairs while ours is upstairs that we would keep him in our room until he sleeps longer stretches (like 5+ hours) and then we would move him downstairs to his room. Well, the pack and play hasn't worked at all. I feed him, he falls asleep and as soon as I put him down, he immediately wakes up.

So, for now the strategy has been to feed him lying down in our bed and we just fall asleep next to each other. Well, I personally do not feel entirely comfortable with this arrangement. I am freaked out about the risk of rolling over on my baby while I am asleep. Maybe if he were a bit bigger I wouldn't be so freaked out about this possibility, but I really am scared of it. So, this week, a friend of mine let me borrow her co-sleeper. it slides up right next to the bed and is secured to the bed so I can theoretically feed him and then slide him into the co-sleeper. It also means that in the middle of the night I could theoretically change his diaper and pick him up to feed him without getting out of bed myself. I say theoretically because we are on the third night with the co-sleeper and for the first time he is just now sleeping in it. The big test will come when he wakes up in an hour or two (hopefully an hour or two and not five minutes from now). We'll see if after waking up and eating he is willing to be put back in the co-sleeper.

Regardless of how tonight goes, I am just reveling in the notion that he actually is capable of sleeping somewhere other than in our bed.

So, tonight I am saying a big thank you to Gretchen for letting me borrow the co-sleeper. We really appreciate the happy medium between sharing our bed and not sharing our bed with little Levi.

1 comment:

  1. We had that co-sleeper thing for Kiernan (I got it off Craigslist) and it was awesome - honestly, she would still sometimes end up in the bed with us because she would wake up and want to nurse back to sleep and I would want the sleep - but that thing TOTALLY helped with the compromise between not wanting to get up and go get her and not wanting to squish her.

    Yay for Levi!

    (oh, the stroller I got on Cragislist was a Maclaren Volo - I got it for about 60% of retail and was totally pleased with myself.)

    ReplyDelete