5.20.2008

Water Baby

Jackson LOVES the water. he loves to take baths and this weekend he tried out the pool for the first time.

We both really want him to love swimming but. I have to admit that I was fairly apprehensive about Jackson in the pool. The pediatrician told us that he could under no circumstances be in the sun and that sunscreen was out of the question until he is 6 months old. Justin clearly really wanted him to go, so he asked the pediatrician "what about at night?" which the doctor told us was okay. Then Jackson's Aunt, Elise bought him a swimsuit, and I was running out of reasons why he couldn't go in the pool.

We were all just sitting around outside on Sunday night when jackson was in a pretty good mood, so we thought we would try it out. First we put his adorable swimsuit on, which was HUGE! The Elise took him into a shaded part of the pool and slowly submerged him into the water to just over his waist. The water was kind of chilly, but he didn't care. He smiled big and clearly loved every second of being in the water. The funny part was that his diaper got soaked and it weighed him down so much that he was having trouble keeping his already too big swim trunks on. We were tempted to weigh the diaper when we took it off.

He was such a happy baby in the pool that last night when he was a little fussy and fighting going to sleep I gave him a bath. His mood immediately changed and it was awesome. Also, the pool experience helped me to better guage his tolerance for temperature. Now I don't worry about finding the perfect balance of temperature for the bath, I just err on the colder to lukewarm side.

1 comment:

  1. That's a cool picture. Kate (Shuster) and I are excited to see ya'll for EJ's wedding next month.

    ReplyDelete